Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ahhh La Lake!


Okay, my record keeping has become quite "ridoncules!" as my kids would say! I guess when you have the most ridiculessly busy summer on record, there is no time for blogging! So here I am, recording some of our summer adventures a few months after the fact! Our first trip this summer was to Utah for the Glen Hanson family reunion. I did not take a single picture!! I think I was burned out. We had a great time -- missed Kath and Jarom's families. But it was great to get those of us together who could come. We were home for a week before we headed off to Loon Lake, a local lake where we had rented an old house on the lake with my cousin Liza, her husband Chris and their families. We had a WONDERFUL week there. The lake was beautiful, peaceful and the beach was perfect for the kids.

We had more smores in a week than I think I have had all of my life! Every night we roasted smores down by the beach.


My favorite part of the place we stayed was this amazing dock. My dream was to get up one morning and do yoga out there on the dock before anyone else got up. And I did. It was seriously the best yoga ever. Unbelievably peaceful. Later that afternoon, the 80 year old world-war II veteran and owner of the home we were renting, who lived next door, came out to the beach to tell me how flexible and limber I was! And he asked what I was doing out there? His wife had told him I was doing yoga. Two things I gleaned from this exchange. Number one, it feels good to be told how flexible and strong you are, even if it is by an 80 year old. (because in reality, to people my age, I am neither!) And, number two, I am glad I did not know I had an audience -- it would have blown my perfect yoga moment! Things being what they are, I hope he enjoyed the "show!"


Chris and Liza's family were fun to be with. It is fabulous having family nearby and they were laid back and easy to share a house with! Jane and Rob's family came up for a day too which was great. The little girls always appreciate having the cool teenage girls around.

Elsa celebrated her 9th birthday while we were there. Let me just say that Elsa is an amazing young lady. She is incredibly smart, outgoing, nurturing, sensitive and a tease all at the same time. I watch her from a distance all of the time and think "wow, I can't believe she is my first baby girl" - she impresses me. Elsa has always had to work really hard in school with reading and writing. This year we discovered she is mildly dyslexic. The more I find out about dyslexia, the more amazing my daughter becomes to me. School has been such a challenge for her academically, and yet she has never, in four years, had a day that she didn't want to go to school! I think that is incredible!
She is a fighter.
She is a nurturer.
She is AMAZING at the monkey bars!
She has a great memory.
She is a good teacher
Happy Birthday Elsa!







We will go back to this wonderful place!








i
f

No comments: