
Why is it that I can never remember how absolutely RIDICULES the first week of school is? It is all consuming. But every year, I make the same mistakes. It sneaks up on me. I don't have my ducks in a row. And I find myself in the middle of absolute chaos! This year, I had a couple of obligations that came out of nowhere, last minute, that had nothing to do with my family or my children, two days before school started. I had a couple of deadlines to meet, and I committed to them. So once again I found myself consumed with something I should have said "no" to. The day school started we were running around like chickens with our heads cut off! This was old news to Abe and Elsa - but Kate was just starting Kindergarten, so I was hoping to be able to embrace the moment with her!
I thought that for once in my life I am going to be on time - get Kate to the gradeschool where she will be catching the bus to the kindergarten Center with plenty of time to spare! So we walked up to the school and were actually about 20 minutes early. On the way, Ben created quite the scent in his pants (of course, I hadn't thought to throw a diaper into the stroller), and Sophia lost her shoes, somehow. So we arrived at the school with a stinky diaper and a barefoot Sophia, which would have been fine, except. The buses were late. And not just a little. (this is how Murphy's Law operates in my life - even when I have it together, I don't have it together!) So we are 20 minutes early and the bus is a half an hour late! Ben is stinky and crying, Sophia is twirling all over the place, and I am wanting to scream! But Kate, Kate is as calm as a summer's morning and unaffected by the chaos. I finally had to just leave her there with Jessica Albrecht to get screaming Ben home to a diaper change!
Kate, Eden Albrecht, Jane Romney, Elise Daines, Kat Johnson and Jaylee Lake are just a few of the friends that are in afternoon kindergarten with Kate. Kate's teacher's name is Mr. McCaslin. However, before the first day of school, she was having a hard time pronouncing it, so she was opting to just use his first name - BOB. I was worried that might cause a problem. But by the time she got home from school - she had "Mr. McCaslin" mastered. Phew! Elsa has Mrs. Swenson and came home happy as a clam. Luckily Mrs. Swenson, who is our neighbor, is the biggest warm-fuzzy ever! Abe was pretty stressed the night before the start of school. Rumor had it that the 5th grade was a taste of the big time responsibility. He came from school a little less stressed, but then asked Mark for a blessing that night to just calm the nerves. Mark normally gives the kids a father's blessing at the beginning of the school year, but hadn't gotten to it yet. That was all a good experience for Abe to ask for it and Mark to give
it. Mark had some insight I thought was quite profound about what a blessing it is for him as a father to use the power of the Lord's priesthood to give a blessing to one of your children and that as that blessing comes into your mind through the power of the spirit, you recieve insight into who your child is in Heavenly Father's eyes and his or her potential, strengths and weaknesses.
Some of our school friends - Savannah and Sarah Pratt. We love the Pratts!
And Jenna and Jaylee Lake - we love them too!

No comments:
Post a Comment